Candle, Stone and
This page discusses magick done with candles,
stones, or herbs.
One of the easiest and most powerful magickal
techniques utilized by both witches and folk magicians is the
utilization of candles in performing a spell. Candles are readily
available items, can be found most anywhere and are convenient for use.
They come in all shapes and sizes, scented or unscented, and which
shape you use is totally up to you and the purpose of the spell.
You can purchase candles sculpted in the shape of the Goddess or God
for mystical symbolism, but ordinary taper candles are just as
effective. In the world of magick, color is quite important as it
creates a certain state of mind in the user and conveys various
messages to the subconscious, which can make a spell all the more
Here is how candle magick is
Acquire a candle of the appropriate color
(see table below for this). Then, hold the candle in your power
hand (if you are right-handed, than that is your power hand).
Take several deep breaths and concentrate on your goal intensely. If
you wish to cast a spell for money or employment, for example, think of
a job you'd love to have, think of all your bills being paid and of a
hefty bank account.
Verbally announce to an appropriate deity (this is variable, and
depends on your specific tradition), or the Mother Goddess (for those
of us who are eclectic) that you are soliciting their aid in acquiring
a better job or more money.
Be sure to ask only for realistic goals, and be sure that you are not
requesting assistance at someone else's expense. Make it a point to
state this in your intention. Think of this goal and mentally build up
huge amounts of energy until you are literally shaking with this built
Then, when you feel it has reached its peak, project all of this energy
through your power hand and into the candle.
Light the candle and put it someplace where it will burn safely (never
leave a burning candle unattended). Sit in front of the candle,
meditate for a few moments and know that as the flame burns and the
candle melts, your intention is being sent into the astral realms,
where it will take form and eventually manifest itself in the physical.
This can take anywhere from a week to a few months, depending upon the
complexity of your request.
Remember this, as well: spellwork to gain something (such as money or a
love interest) is best done during the waxing moon, and are most
effective just before or on the Full Moon; spellwork to get rid of
something, or to banish negativity from your life, should be done
during the waning moon or just before or on the New Moon. They will be
more effective this way, though in an emergency, you can still do any
spell at anytime.
Remember to let the candle burn out all the way; if you don't have the
time, then let the candle burn on successive nights until it is
completely burnt out.
Remember, DO NOT use the same candle for different purposes. Once it is
"programmed" with a specific type of energy, do not use it for another
purpose, or "program" it with a different intent. This will only muddle
up the energy and confuse the intent.
As you meditate upon the candle, gently move your hand above the flame
and concentrate on your goal. You may want to light some incense along
with the candle, and I will include a separate list on the proper
incense to use in another section. If you can't find a certain color
candle (for example, black candles can be hard to find), then use a
white candle. They can be substituted for any color below, since the
color white is actually a reflection of all colors. Here is the
appropriate table of correspondence below:
- WHITE: Spirituality, purification,
- RED: Energy, protection, sex, defense,
- BLUE: Love, healing, flexibility,
- PINK: Love, romance, companionship.
- GREEN: Money, employment, commerce,
- YELLOW: Intellect, education,
benevolence, writing, the arts.
- ORANGE: Luck, changing of personal
fortune, attraction of influences.
- BROWN: Animal magick, healing of animals,
- PURPLE: Luck, protection from negativity.
- BLACK: Banishment, binding, reversal,
removal of negative influences.
Wiccan Rede when performing this or any other type of magick...keep
your spellwork on positive goals, don't utilize bindings except in
self-defense and even then keep your spellwork defensive, not offensive and remember
to harm none! Doing so will only build up bad karma, and you will
eventually have to pay for hurting or manipulating others.
remember this when performing love magick: do not cast a spell
to win the love of a specific person; when doing job magick, do not spell to
take the job from somebody else. Nasty and manipulative magick like
this will only leave you subject to the Law of Threefold Return.
The following is a list of stones commonly
used by witches in spellwork and a general description of their various
magickal properties compiled from elsewhere on the Web by my former
courage, love, healing, protection./AMAZONITE-taking
a chance to be successful in a project.
healing, strength, protection./AMETHYST-dreams, psychic
abilities, divination ,purification.
wealth, power, legal
EYE-wealth, success, friendship, money.
success, friendship, money.
STONE, FAERY CROSS, OR STAUROLITE-luck, money, elemental magick.
abilities, power. For more on Crystal Magickal Correspondences, click here.
spirituality, protection, reconciliation.
talents, protection, exorcism.
life, wisdom, prosperity.
luck, divination ,magick.
LAZULI-spiritual growth, courage, protection.
to be more effective in women's magick.protection, courage, easing
EYE-money, protection, good luck, divination.
love, healing, protection.
success, friendship, courage, astral travel.
luck, friendship, prosperity, love.
- ZIRCON-sexual energy, love, peace.
The following is a list of herbs and their
notable mystical properties for use in spellwork acquired for this site
by my former site partner:
This list is
from the book Teen Witch by Silver
Ravenwolf (Llewellyn Publications, 1998).
- AFRICAN VIOLET: spirituality,protection.
- ALFALFA: prosperity, anti-hunger,money.
- ALOE: protection, luck.
- APPLE: love, healing, garden
- APRICOT: love
- BASIL: love, exorcism, wealth, flying (in
airplanes), protection, strength.
- BAY: protection, psychic
powers, healing, purification, strength.
- BEAN: protection, exorcism, wart
charming, reconciliations, potency, love.
- BLACKBERRY: healing, money, protection.
- BLUEBERRY: protection.
- BRAZIL NUT: love.
- CABBAGE: luck.
- CACTUS: protection, chastity.
protection, lust, health, anti-theft, mental powers.
- CARNATION: protection, strength, healing.
- CAROB: protection, health.
- CARROT: fertility, lust.
- CASHEW: money, communication.
- CATNIP: cat magick, love, beauty,
healing, purification, money, protection, stopping sexual harassment.
- CELERY: mental powers, lust, psychic
- CHAMOMILE: money, sleep, love,
- CHERRY: love, divination, victory.
- CHESNUT: love.
spirituality, success, healing, power, psychic powers, protection,
- CLOVE: protection, exorcism, love, money.
water, purification, protection, chastity.
- COLORED PENCILS: color magick.
- CORIANDER: love, health, healing.
- CORN: protection, luck, divination,
- COTTON BALLS:
luck, healing, protection, rain, fishing magick, communication.
- COMPACT MIRROR: banish negativity.
- CRAYONS: color magick.
- CUCUMBER: chastity, healing, fertility.
- CUMIN: anti-theft.
- CURRY: protection.
- DILL: protection, money, lust, love.
- EGGS: healing, removing
- ENDIVE: lust, love.
- EUCALYPTUS: healing, protection.
- FENNEL: protection, healing,
- FENUGREEK: money.
rain-making, protection, luck, riches, external youth, health,
- FIG: divination, fertility, love.
protection, healing, exorcism, lust, anti-theft, relief from
- GINGER: love, money, success, power.
love, wishes, healing, beauty, protection, lust.
- GOURD: protecition.
- GRAIN: protection.
- GRAPE: fertility, garden magick, mental
protection, anti-lightening, luck, dream magick.
- HORSERADDISH: purification, exorcism.
love, protection, sleep, chastity, longevity, purification, happiness,
- LEEK: love, protection, exorcism.
longevity, purification ,love, friendship.
- LETTUCE: chastity, protection,
of love, sleep.
- LICORICE: lust, love, fidelity.
- LIME: healing, love, protection.
- MAPLE: love, longevity, money.
- MARIGOLD: protection, friendship, dreams.
- MARSHMALLOWS: healing, friendship.
protection, love, happiness, health, money.
- MAYONNAISE: prosperity,cleansing.
money, lust, healing, travel, exorcism, protection.
protection, love, hunting, fertility, health, exorcism of negativity.
- MOTHBALLS: stop sexual harrasment.
- MUSTARD: fertility, protection, mental
luck, money, health, fidelity, relief from nightmares.
fertility, prosperity, love, luck, communication.
- OATS: money.
healing, peace, fertility, potency, protection.
protection, exorcism, healing, money, prophetic dreams.
- ORANGE: love, divination, luck, money.
- PALM,DATE: fertility, potency.
- PAPAYA: love, protection.
- PARSLEY: lust, protection, purification.
- PEA: money, love.
- PEACH: love, exorcism of
negativity, longevity, fertility, wishes.
- PEAR: love.
- PECAN: money, employment.
- PEPPER: protection, exorcism of
purification, sleep, love, healing, psychic powers.
- PERSIMMON: healing, luck.
- PIMENTO: love.
- PINEAPPLE: luck, money, chastity.
- PISTACHIO: breaking love spells.
- PLUM: love, protection.
divination, luck, wishes, wealth, fertility.
- POPCORN: wishes, luck, prosperity.
- POTATO: image magick, healing,
- PRETZELS: success, protection
(note:pretzels must be whole,and designed with a knot.Straight pretzels
will not work.)
- RADISH: protection.
- RASPBERRY: protection, love.
- RHUBARB: protection, fidelity.
- RICE: protection, rain, money, fertility.
- ROSE: love, psychic powers, healing, love
divination, luck, protection.
- ROSEMARY: protection, love, lust, mental
powers, exorcism, purification, healing, sleep, youth.
- RYE: love, fidelity.
- SARSAPARILLA: love, money.
- SASSAFRAS: health, money.
- SAVORY,SUMMER: mental powers.
- SAFETY PINS: protection.
- SESAME: money, lust.
- SHOESTRINGS: cord and knot spells.
- SPEARMINT: healing, love, mental powers.
- STRAWBERRY: love ,luck.
- SUGAR: love, lust, sympathy.
fertility, wishes, health, wisdom.
- TEA: riches, courage, strength, health.
- THYME: health, healing, sleep, psychic
powers, love, purification, courage.
- TOBACCO: healing, purification.
- TOMATO: prosperity, protection, love.
- TUNA: prosperity, abundance.
- TURNIP: protection, ending relationships.
- VANILLA: love, lust, mental powers.
- WALNUT: health, mental
powers, infertility, wishes.
- WHEAT: fertility, money.
- WINTERGREEN: protection, healing.
- WITCH HAZEL: protection, chastity.
Return to Paganism